Monday, September 01, 2008

Home Again


We went to Iowa for the annual "Midwest Old Threshers Reunion" aka a chance for Brody and Eric to spend time together, not necessarily at "Old Threshers" but you know, it's ok. I'm just glad they like each other and want to be together whether it be playing the Wii (yeah, we got one) or just hanging out.

I'll post pictures later but first a blessing story. After Doug's mom died, Dad D. asked me if I wanted anything of hers. And I did, as long as Doug's sisters didn't. She has the set of pyrex bowls in the primary colors. If you've been in grandma's kitchen, you've probably seen them, yellow, red, blue, green. I got those bowls. And I use them. So a couple of weeks ago while making apple butter I was using the yellow bowl to take peelings out to the compost pile. Stupidly I was bracing the bowl up to the island and sweeping the peelings in. You guessed it, it dropped and shattered. And I cried. I found one at a flea market here in Lowell. It was $35. FOR ONE BOWL! Yeah, just what I thought.

So after the boys and I took a buggy ride (pics of that later,) we went to an antique building while waiting for Brad and Juil to get a ride. We walked in and Eric and I spotted it at the same time. THE PRECIOUS YELLOW BOWL. We both headed for it and I picked it up and it was in the same excellent condition as Mom D.'s bowl and.........it was $20. And I almost cried again.


God is in the little things too!

Jan

1 comment:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Our mom had that yellow bowl, too, I think! If she had the set, the rest of the bowls broke. I only remember the yellow one.