Doug's sweet mother told me to write this in Eric's baby book a LONG time ago. And since she is gone now and unable to hold me accountable, I am writing it here as my penmanship literally stinks now due to carpal tunnel! It is so pressing on me to record this, I have to believe it's more than just me.
I have to preface with this. All of you have pictures of your children that are less than complimentary don't you? In fact, if you didn't know it was your child you would think something is amiss.
As we were going through the adoption process we would periodically receive pictures of Eric. We have exactly 13 pictures of the first 9 months of his life. (And yes, they are in the safe.) In November 1996 Doug's parents were visiting us and we received 3 new pictures and of course were thrilled. Until we saw one of the pictures. He looked...........not right. We didn't say much to Doug's folks about it but privately were quite.........upset. Doug especially. I called a friend and she told me that happens and it was probably just a bad picture of him. She has 2 boys and assurred me she had really poor shots of her kids. We were just really young and confused and questioning God, "is this really the child you have for us?" Fast forward, we all went to bed and about 3 o'clock in the morning I woke up and started to go in our guest room where Doug's folks were sleeping. Well, anyone that knows me well, knows I have a tendancy to sleep talk and walk. I actually "came to" before I stepped in their room.
Fast forward again. I leave for work before Doug or anyone else is up. Well, I was about to leave and Doug's dad was sitting on the couch fully dressed in the dark. He said, "You need to go get your husband because I have a message I'm supposed to deliver to you." So I go get Doug and here is what happend in his words. "About 3 o'clock this morning we had a visitor in our room. And no Jan, it wasn't you. I woke up to an angel in the corner of the room. The angel was white and very luminiscent. The angel told me to tell you two that this is the child God has for you and do not question it. God loves you very much." Then he started to cry (well, we all did) and he was very very shaken. He said he'd never in his life experienced anything like that before.
Later that night at supper he re-told it again for us and Doug's mom who had rheumatoid arthritis and rarely slept an entire night due to pain said this. "Well, obviously I wasn't to be a part of it because I slept all night long for the first time in years."
We are so blessed.
2 comments:
Wow! Amazing. The presence of that angel brought her such peace. She was more a part of it than she realized!
And, Eric is definitely your son! I can't imagine you without him.
What a beautiful story to share and pass on. Now that you have it "written". Copy it in your handwriting a little at a time so it isn't too difficult. There's something precious about a mother's handwriting.
That is such an awesome story! And yeah, what Sarah said about handwriting. :-)
Post a Comment