Friday, January 23, 2015

Catching Up!

We've been home 3 weeks and 2 days.   Improvement has been measured by the week rather than each day.  I have to say, considering where he was 3 weeks ago, he is doing great!

Week one he still needed help bathing and dressing, still unable to sit and had to change positions frequently and still rode in the back seat laying down.

Week 2 bathing and dressing on his own and sitting a little in the recliner, still in the back seat.

Week 3 he's riding in the front seat although as soon as he gets out of treatment he takes his Oycodone.

Actually he still takes Oxycodone every day, at least once.  His pain is still mainly in area of his incision.   It appears the area where they took the tissue from the underside of his belly skin is the most painful area.  Although he still has pain where the pocket was as well as pain where the rectum was removed.   It was a major surgery, not wonder he hurts!

We did finally get to do our New Year's family Lasagna and sparkling grape juice on January 3rd.   Hey, better late than never huh?    I am glad we were home sooner than last year.

We've kind of gotten into the routine with me working the afternoon/evening shift.  I get up with Eric and make his coffee and toast (or pop tart or flatbread sandwich) and start the car for him while he gets ready.  I know, but it's his Senior year and I want spoil him a bit.  One of his love languages is acts of service so, why not?  After he leaves for school I do laundry or dishes, clean, or sometimes I lay back down.  When that happens I don't get much done though, so have been staying up.  Doug's deep sleep time is usually 7-9 so no vacuuming.  :)  Then we leave for therapy around 11:25.  He's supposed to be there at 11:45.  Then I run errands and go back home and get something in the crockpot for supper.   What did we do before crock pots?  I pick him up at 1:50 and we usually get him something to eat and head home.  I always have leftovers from previous nights but he wants Subway or whatever.    As long as he's eating, it's fine. 

When he first got home he was 138 pounds.  His stomach had shrunk so we started with several small meals.  He's worked up to eating 3 good meals and snacks in between as well.  As of this morning he is up to 143 pounds!    I always have "something" around for him to eat.  I will confess I certainly wish I liked to cook!

He hadn't been out other than therapy so one Sunday he wanted to go out for lunch.  We went to Red Robin.  We thought we were going late enough that we wouldn't have to wait but unfortunately it didn't turn out that way.  We ended up waiting 15-20 minutes just to get seated.  The service was great but he did end up going out to lay down in the car as soon as he'd finished.

Last Tuesday a representative from the AR Highway Transportation Department came over to walk through the house.   Doug asked if he had a new map since revising the line.  He had one and we found out the will be taking the well house but not the barn.  Thank God!  So we don't have to find a place for the boat, 4 wheeler, lawnmower.  Not to mention all the wood that is stored in there.
We still don't  have a timeline as far as relocation is concerned.

And I will have to stop for now as I need to take Doug to therapy and then my manager is taking me out for lunch for my 30 year FedEx anniversary.  Can't beat that huh?  

More later,

God is good ALL the time!

Jan, Doug and Eric

No comments: