We've been home 6 weeks and 2 days. I went back to work mornings on week 4 as Doug was driving himself to therapy. I was thankful for the opportunity to be able to switch shifts with the pm girls for a time but it sure is nice to be home evenings again with my guys.
On week 5 1/2 Doug came home from therapy and said "I think I'm going to make it." His pain was less and he "only" needed Oxycodone sometimes in the evenings. He also has been taking a swig of whiskey in the evenings which has really helped his sleep pattern and sometimes he doesn't have to take the narcotic. He was released to go back to work February 9th full time. He went in half days on the 5th and 6th (after hyperbaric treatment.) His last treatment was February 12th. He was EXTREMELY glad!
We are beginning to get into a somewhat "normal" routine again. Normal is good and it hasn't been "normal" around here since July of 2013. We are definitely ready for normal. :) I worked Saturday the 24th and when I got home he was creating a cart to hold an lp tank out of a wood hauling cart he bought at an auction. He was just at the point where he needed some help lifting the tank and getting his welder out. Eric was playing at church so I was the gopher. I did that a lot growing up with my dad, so I am "seasoned!" We measured and marked and I dragged the welder out and he welded and w got that thing just the way he wanted it. After we go everything put away he came in and promptly fell asleep. He definitely had the will but the strength and stamina, well, not quite there yet.
We went to church for the first time in months on Feb 1st. He still had trouble sitting for that long and definitely needed pain med when we got home but he did it. He's been eating well and continually gaining weight. That's a really big deal for him. Right now he's up to 152 pounds.
Last weekend we went to an estate sale just down the road and then Doug changed the oil in the lawn mower and 4 wheeler. He takes several breaks during the process but like I said the will is definitely there. Sunday he went metal detecting for a few hours. It was the first time he's left by himself for anything other than therapy. I told him I was having trouble letting him go by himself! He really enjoyed being out (it was 65 degrees and sunny) but boy was he pooped Sunday evening. I have to continually remind him to slow down as he's just not there yet.
Yesterday (Friday) I called him when I left work (around 2.) I could tell as soon as he answered the phone he was REALLY tired. He ended up coming home about 4 and slept for 1 1/2 hour. Eric and I had a chiropractor appointment so the house was nice and quiet for him. We both NEEDED an adjustment, my hip was out badly which was causing bad hip and knee pain. And as always my neck sounded like popcorn but Eric's sounded like a bag of popcorn! We are both a little sore today but in a good way. We hit a thrift store in Springdale after the chiropractor and Eric found a jacket that he loves and looks really good on him for 25cents. This store had a huge donation from a vendor so I took advantage of new tubes of toothpaste for $1 I just love thrift store shopping. It is so guilt free!
Today was another beautiful 64 degree sunny (but extremely windy) in Northwest Arkansas. Doug and I went to some estate sales in Bella Vista this morning. We spent a $1. Big spenders huh? Oh well sometimes it just doesn't happen. After lunch he went metal detecting again for a few hours. He got home and has been laying on the couch ever since. Tomorrow it is supposed to cool off again with the possibility of ice and or snow early next week. The wood stove will be cranking next week!
We have been perusing the internet for possible places to live. We've not heard from the AHTD relocation specialist so we aren't even sure what price range we will be in. We aren't concerned about that though. The one thing we are certain of is that after all we have been thru GOD HAS A PLAN!
We definitely still have a lot on our plate, it's just a different kind of "iron" in the fire. We are so extremely thankful every single day for continued healing and health. You just have no idea how thankful we are. Doug says almost daily "it's sure nice to be feeling better." If you know my husband, you know how very big it is to hear those words. :)
We sure appreciate your continued prayers. Prayers for complete healing for Doug, for my hives to go away, for wisdom for us to make the right decision for our future home, for Eric and his future after high school!
Doug's next appointment is next Friday with Doctor Travis, his oncologist. We love Dr Travis and look forward to seeing him. Well, ok, as much as you can look forward to seeing a doctor. :)
We appreciate all of you.
Jan, Doug and Eric
No comments:
Post a Comment