Sunday, October 13, 2013

First Phase Finished

Lets see, where did I leave off?  Oh yes, the decision on whether to continue.   I  think Doug intended to continue all along, it was more me than him.  After all, I've been the one doing all the reading/research.  Quite frankly what you read can rock your world.   I follow @joycemeyer (awesome Christian speaker/author) on twitter.  My first tweet of the day was "You can make it to the finish line. Gain the strength to finish what you've started."  Since I specifically asked for prayer on whether or not to continue.......well, that's pretty clear don't you think?   

The nurses at H.O.G. really are awesome.  I mean, we love our ACH nurses but the H.O.G. nurses work with cranky adults that feel like crap, what a thankless job!  We got one of Doug's favorites and she and another nurse knew right away that he was to get a lesser strength dose of chemo in his pump this week.   I personally think many situations could be alleviated if the communication between Dr's, nurses, receptionists and patients were "beyond a doubt" clear to everyone, and that everyone read all the info on charts, orders, etc.  (Sorry, I'll get off my soap box now!)  Anyway, it was comforting to us to know that they are on top of it. :)  Monday he got iv fluids, and pre-meds (which always give him a boost for about 2 days) then the pump.  He also had day 1 of high intensity radiation.  They narrowed the field of radiation to just the tumor so the burn on his tailbone area got relief but the lower area was zapped a little more.   The constant lotion applications have helped that immensely.

He went to work Mon-Wed but by Thursday he couldn't even sit.  God just knows what schedule I needed this week and I was able to go with him (and come home and take him) each day this week.  By Thursday he had to lay down in the back seat of the truck because sitting for even 15 minutes in the truck was out of the question.  The fact that this was his last week of this phase of treatment kept him going.  Friday he got a special certificate signed by all of the radiation folks.  The chemo nurses also made him a certificate and signed it.  When it was time for de-access they all came over and cheered and clapped congratulating him.   And yes, I got pictures.   I wanted to document it so he can see as he's already told me he hasn't been able to think clearly due to drugs and pain. 

So it's been another weekend of pain meds, Isagenix shakes and mostly bed rest.   I've had to have some encouraging talks with him.   He is sick and tired of ......... being sick and tired!  :)  We're starting on the tissue rebuilding supplements from Dr Wilson, praying they work quickly.

I know you're wondering about Eric's appointment right?  Well I had considered calling to reschedule.  We've had monthly blood draws (2) since our last appointment and the results are faxed to our nurse at ACH and she emails them to me.  (They have been fine.)  My sweet friend (and neighbor) called and suggested the same thing.  I considered that confirmation enough to go ahead and reschedule so now we go to Little Rock on the 24th.  :)


We have been so blessed by friends and family, easing our burden financially, work load and fun stuff too.  Today I got the mail and just cried (again!)  Thank you so much, I can't tell you what it means to us to have your support and prayers. 

So what's next?    Well, I'll tell you.  We wait 6-8 weeks for his body to recover (thus the supplements) and then he has surgery to remove the tumor.   He has appointments the 23rd with the radiation oncologist and the 25th with his oncologist.    So he has almost 2 weeks before he sees a doctor, won't that be nice!!!!    I am on vacation this coming week as well.  It looks to be a beautiful week, one in which I will be getting some good exercise picking up a gazillion walnuts and mowing for lots of vitamin D exposure.  WooHooo!!!!!

Thank you again for praying, it's going to be a great week!  :)

Jan



First Day of Chemo,  "the pump"

IV fluids, my pooped out man!

Connie, the "upstairs" check-in admin.  I used to deliver to her years ago and loved her then.  Such a nice surprise to see a friendly face the first day.

Accessed and pumping
 
Last day.   He's looking up at the TV.

 Chemo nurses giving him completion certificate an cheering :)
Radiation Certificate..not thrilled can you tell?

Last de-access from the pump, oh happy day!








No comments: