Monday, October 28, 2013

Oct 21-27

So life got back to our new "normal."  We both went back to work and life has been rolling on.  Still doing pain meds and magnesium baths at night.   He doesn't miss a dose of the "cancer" supplements.  In Doug's words he's "feeling a little better every day."  Thank you Jesus!

Thursday Eric and I went to ACH in Little Rock for his checkup.  We got to the Oncology clinic just after 10 and didn't get in until 11:45.  Eric's blood pressure was.......way high.  You wouldn't know it by his demeanor but the nurse was like "is this normal?"  She took it twice in one arm and once in the other.  It was almost the same every time.  Then she asked us if we had already been to the Heart Station for his Echo and E.K.G. Ummmmm, no, didn't know we were supposed to.  We certainly had time!  So after she drew blood (which flowed amazingly fast....think that had something to do with the blood pressure?) we headed to the heart station.  We had a minimal wait for the ekg, which takes about 8 minutes, went back to the waiting room and just barely sat down and were called for the echo.  We had a great tech named Debbie.  She was curious why he was getting an echo when he was so far out from treatment.  (His last chemo was August 2004.)  So I went into the whole background.  Turned out she has Hemolytic Anemia also, was born with it which is very rare.   She began telling us some of her testimony and how God had literally saved her life and about her calling from the Lord.  It was an amazing story and we are certain the delays and miscommunication was meant to be so we could have Debbie as our tech!  See, sometimes hiccoughs are a good thing :)

We went back to clinic and saw our Oncologist Dr Succente.   She said Eric's cbc was "perfect."  She again said she has no explanation medically for the 9 day stay at the ACH spa in June.    I asked what happens when he turns 18 (next July) and she said they see patients until they are 21.  That's a relief :)
So, we just went over the "signs" to be cognizant of and should anything arise to get ahold of her nurse Amy.

There is a hamburger joint in Conway called "David's Burgers" that we save our appetite for when we are in the area.  After an awesome meal Eric and I went to a store that is a danger zone for both of us....Hastings.  (Both of our Hastings in NWA closed.)  I head for the books, he heads for the music.  The best part is we get used and spend hardly anything.  Win win!

I wrote about this on facebook so it's a repeat for some of you.  We usually get gas at "Exit 84" in Russellville as they usually have the cheapest gas.  Coming off the exit I noticed it was $3.05.  We had just paid less than $3 at home so I thought I'd just keep going and get gas in Clarksville at Wally world and get it 5 cents cheaper with my card.  (Come on admit it you do it too!)  I was going to turn right (cause I'm a good FedEx driver) and turn around but after seeing all the traffic I changed my mind (because I'm a woman and I can!) and decided to just pull in and get gas anyway.  Eric was pumping the gas and a FedEx van pulled in.  I couldn't see who was driving but wondered if it was a friend I used to work with in FYV.  We finished at the same time so I pulled up beside the van but we both moved so I couldn't see who was driving.  I just thought "oh well" but then the van stopped and out came my friend!  I was so surprised and excited as I've not seen her in ..... 20 (?) years!  We could only chat for a minute as she had to keep moving but I got Eric to take our picture which I tweeted and is on facebook so you'll have to go there to see it.   God's timing is perfect!  :)

Doug had a labs and an appointment with his oncologist on Friday.  His blood work looked good and we don't see him again until December 20th.

Friday night Eric's band moved the music equipment from our garage.  They practiced here all summer.  (Which is fine by me, I honestly love these guys.)  The drummers family bought a house with an area that will be perfect for practice and the best part is they won't have to set up each time.  They are looking forward to it and we needed the space in the garage for the wood box for the winter so it really is perfect timing.

Saturday Doug went metal detecting.  Yes he did!  He and 3 of his M.D. friends went up to the Cassville, MO area.  He was a bit nervous (well, both of us were) about not being near a "conventional" bathroom.  He did PERFECTLY FINE!  Left at 8:30 and got home around 4.  I prayed he would have a great day with no problems and BIG time prayer was answered! 

Eric had a friend over Saturday and I got to go spend some time with my mom, Aunt and cousin from Iowa and Wisconsin (Hi Neala and Heather!)  They like to resale, estate and garage sale shop too so we hit the Samaritan Shop and then Heather and I went to an estate sale.  It was around 4 so they were marking things down.  One of the things I got was a book called "Prescription for Nutritional Healing"  for 50 cents, oh happy day!   Then we went up to my folks' in Bella Vista and enjoyed visiting a little more.

Sunday we didn't make it to church.  Doug's dad and wife were on their way thru from Iowa to Florida for the winter and they took us to Cracker Barrel for lunch then stayed the afternoon with us.  Doug told his dad he wouldn't have been able to do this just one week prior.  The timing of all of these events was perfect and we were so glad we were able to have some fun times this weekend!

I just realized this post is full of events that can only be "explained" as God's timing.    But you know what?  "God's timing" doesn't need an explanation does it?  Bottom line, God is good and we are so so so blessed.   Thank you all for being a part of this journey and for your prayers.

God Bless! 

Jan

No comments: