Saturday, February 15, 2014

Last week started with the blood draw that was "supposed" to happen at the Infusion center.  Dr Bandy told us we could get blood drawn at any clinic/lab in the hospital (including the infusion center.)  It turns out that's not quite the way it is!   In order to have any procedure at the infusion center they have to have an "order" but not just in the computer.  It has to be on a script with everything written out, etc and at that point they can put it in their system on an "as needed" basis.  They wanted us to go to the hospital (which is just next door) and go thru the "wait, get admitted, wait, talk to the intake folks, wait, walk down to the lab, wait, get called in by lab, wait and finally get blood drawn."   However, I noticed at our last appointment with Dr Bandy that they have a lab in his office.  His waiting room is literally just outside the infusion clinic door.  So I went to "our" sweet office girl (see, it pays to be nice and compliment above and beyond service) and told her what we needed done.  She said, "no problem, I'll get him checked in and you can just go get him, I'll watch for you."   I went back and got Doug and the awesome infusion girls said quite literally, "Dr Bandy doesn't know how it works, there is a procedure that needs to be followed, sometimes he knows, he just wants to do it his way, but he can't."  OK then!    It didn't take long at all and Doug was on his way home (to pain meds) and I was on my way to my dentist appointment.

Except, I was a week early.  HA!!  Oh brother, I can keep all of Doug's appointments straight but I can't even remember mine on the correct day?  I had it right in my phone, just not in my head!  Oh well, I rescheduled that one.  Geesh!

Doug went to work 3 days last week for a few hours per day.  Dr Treptow suggested I get him a doughnut to sit on which I did.  He uses it but doesn't really think it helps a whole lot.

The appointment with Dr Bandy was Tuesday.  He said his numbers all look "almost" perfect. He's had very little drainage and Dr Bandy said that was good, that the body should be able to absorb any fluids at this point. He reduced the Augmenten to once per day instead of twice.  Doug was pleased about that as they are in his words "horse pills."  I agree they are really big!  But we are headed in the right direction in the reduction!  Plus they are only $5 for a 30 day supply. woohoo!  Remember when they said the iv antibiotics were expensive.  Yep, after insurance our part is close to $300 per day, and he had daily infusions for about 2 weeks.  But you know what?  Before insurance it's about $2000 per day.  Can you say THANK GOD for insurance?   We are blessed!!!!!!

Today (Friday) we had another appointment with Dr Travis.  He said after consulting with his colleagues about Doug the unanimous consensus was to do no more chemo.  They all thought the benefit vs damage to his healing body wasn't worth it.  So he will keep a close eye on him and check his tumor markers.  I can't remember the name of the blood test but right now his marker is at 1.5 which is good.  He put his hand on my leg and asked me "what do you think?"  I guess he knows us well enough by now to speak candidly to the both of us.  LOVE that!   We both said that we didn't have a problem at all with that.  I think he thought we'd be upset.  Nope, just the opposite, extremely happy.  We are trusting in the healing of our God but thankful for the wisdom and compassion of our oncologist at the same time.  And we didn't even have to make a decision about chemo, it was made for us.  Another lesson in TRUST.  So thankful, just so so thankful.

Doug continues to be in constant pain.  Sometimes it's 1-2, sometimes it goes to 3-4 or higher.  Oxycodone continues to be his friend although he's having to increase his dosage (with dr's ok.)

So we have NO medical appointments next week.....I think.  I better check my phone :)  We see Dr Bandy in 2 weeks and he wants a repeat CT in 1 month.   Pray for tissue growth, healing and NO infection.   Doug would really like to be able to control the pain with over the counter meds as well.
We are grateful for your continued prayers.

Still have more to share but in a non-medical post and since it's almost 2 am it will have to wait.  Yes, I am a night owl.  Eric is to so I have company :)

We love you all.

Jan, Doug and Eric

No comments: