Monday, August 11, 2014

Friday night 8/8, Saturday8/9 Sunday 8/10

Friday afternoon things just took a nose dive.  Still couldn't keep anything down.  After getting the Reglan Friday morning, he vomited.   He hadn't for a little while (at least in any amount) so I was thinking it was just the continuation of the same cycle.  Then he didn't get sick at all until......he got the Reglan again.  And this time I timed it.  4 minutes after he was give it (via IV) he puked it.  And he didn't puke again.  At that point I said enough of the Reglan and go back to Zofran.  (After ADVOCATING.)  Another long night Friday night, more of the same.

Saturday started out slow.  Dr Treptow came in around 1.   I told him about the Reglan and he said "that's strange, it's supposed to do the opposite."   Yep, except on Doug!.  He changed the bandage again (and again I took a picture, yep, will spare you!)  I told him about the constant low grade fever, except on Doug whose baseline is 97.7.  And I asked him, then wouldn't it stand to reason that when the thermometer says 100 that Doug is really at 101?  I don't think I really go a straight answer.  Then I asked him, wouldn't that indicate infection somewhere?  And if so, couldn't we start him on an antibiotic?  He said no, that they have to go by the standards of Medicare/Medicaid who dictate that unless a known source of infection is found they can't start an antibiotic.  I said we were with a private insurer and he said some of them are even following the Medicare standards.  Meaning, his hands are tied basically.  Okay then! I told him I was concerned because I was seeing a lot of the same pattern we saw when he was so sick before and went septic.  He hasn't eaten anything but maybe a few bites of jello since Tuesday and he is getting weaker and weaker.  So he decided to put him on IV nutrition along with the Lactated Ringers to prevent dehydration.

Saturday night at 7:30 Doug spiked a fever and started shaking uncontrollably.  A new (to Mercy) tech took his temp on his forehead (HATE those things!) and it was 99.  He took it under his tongue and it was 102.  And remember the "add a degree" statement above?  This is EXACTLY what happened in December and we are not going there again.  Doug told the Tech to call Dr Treptow.
We also had one of our very least favorite nurses.  She called him and he ordered bloodwork and a chest x-ray.  But before he went to give him the Zofran.  I need to add, God had Mike and Ronda already on their way.  They didn't know what was going on but God did and I (we) sure needed them!  Anyway, our least favorite nurse (lfn) gave Doug the Zofran in his IV and pushed it so quickly she blew out the vein.  Ronda watched her do it.  Trust me when I say Ronda knows!  So at this point we knew he was going to need a new one so she kept trying to unscrew the cap........anyway, the tech helped her and we were finally on our way. 

When we got back from X-Ray we asked for the Tylenol for the fever (didn't want to take it until the Zofran took effect because I KNEW it would come back up if he did.) She came back with it and wasn't very happy.  She gave it to him and said "I'll be back later with the antibiotic, I have other patients."  Really?  Did that need to be said?  I told her it was ok, we just wanted to get the Tylenol on board for the fever. And I said it nicely.  Even though I didn't feel very nice.  :)

So then we have the issue of needing to start a new line.  We got a young nurse who tried twice and both veins blew.  So she went and got Kelly who we love and have had several times in the past.  I hugged her and asked if she could just stay with us all night!  She tried once and it blew.  So in came 2 more nurses and one of them got it no problem.  4th time was a charm.  They were all super ladies.

Then our LFN came in around 1 and said "I have your Reglan."  We both told her no, it makes him sick and gave her the history.  She kept trying to push it.  I said no Reglan and we knew there was another order for Zofran, just the Zofran.  Please.  Really I was nice, Really I was.  Then at 3 when she thought I was sleeping and Doug wasn't going to be alert she said, "I think you should take the Reglan, I think it was just coincidence."  Doug told her it wasn't and he didn't want it.  You would have thought she was getting a kickback!  Always sleep with one eye open.  :)  It was a long night.

Sunday we got our awesome nurse David again.   Dr Treptow came in and said there was a little fluid in his lungs but that was normal from surgery and his white blood count was normal.  I asked him if he thought a urinalysis needed to be done but he said the antibiotic being given would be taking care of it if it were a bladder/kidney infection.  Still the same, he needed to be able to eat and keep solid food down before he can go home.  And a few bites of jello and a few bites of applesauce aren't going to cut it.  Prayers for him to keep food down would be appreciated.  :)

There's more but there always is isn't there? 3 days has turned into 5 plus.  We know God wants Doug healed and we continue to pray and thank him for that healing.  And peace, and sleep and great nurses.  

Thank you all for your prayers for our family.  Eric is home alone and he is lonely.  I know how he feels, it gets pretty lonely up here at 1:30am.  :)

We are blessed blessed blessed!

Jan, Doug and Eric

No comments: