Surgery Day
We were at the hospital 0 dark (5):20 Wednesday. And since you are there that early, you are one of the first on the schedule.
The intake girl is so sweet. Even that early she is a doll. From the start we got a nurse and tech we've had before. Pastor Harry who has been with us from day 1 came just in time to pray with us. He said he was checking facebook (which he never does) when he saw we were at the hospital. He thought we were to be there later which was going to conflict with another appointment on his schedule so he quick got on up to the hospital. Boy howdy did Doug (and I) appreciate that!
After the history, iv, etc we were taken up to the pre-op holding area where we had Becky, the angel nurse that finally recognized how sick he was on December 31 and was the catalyst to stopping the surgery. Then his surgery nurse was Ryan, whom he's had before. I mentioned that to him and he looked at Doug and said "no offense but I don't remember you but I remember her." Doug told him that happens a lot with a redhead. Doug was pretty anxious still but I told him all of people and timing of events of the morning was just God telling him it was going to be ok.
Finally at about 7:20 they took him to the O.R and I went to surgery waiting where Doug's dad and Rama were waiting. Then my sweet sister in law Ronda joined us and Doug's best good metal detecting buddy Jack came as well. It's great to have friends and family to distract you. :)
Ryan called from the O.R. about 8 and said they had started about 7:27 and everything was going well. Dr Treptow came in about 8:35. Dr Treptow said he'd done a physical exam and felt one of the staples. (Probably the one that came loose when he had the disruption.) He said he tugged on it hoping it would pull out but it started to bleed so he nixed that. Then he thought he'd cut it off but realized it would probably be best if he just let it be. It may slough off down the road. He cut the skin around the stoma horizontally, repaired the intestine then sewed him back up so it would be an even not "dog eared" closure. He was to remain in recovery about an hour before heading up to the floor.
We are in room 620, a new one for us. It's on the hallway that I like though with a good view! \. Another nurse Jay brought him in and Doug said "I remember you, you prayed with me last time." See, is God's hand not in this? :) Doug was in ALOT of pain when he got to the room. He got IV Dillauded which seemed to work well for about 2 hours per stretch. Wednesday really went pretty well considering.
Thursday, not so much. They had him on a clear liquid diet of course but he started feeling poorly yesterday morning. Then he started vomiting. And you know that didn't do anything for the surgery site. He continued to vomit about every 1-2 hours even with IV Zofran (nausea medicine.) So they alternated Zofran with another one that started with a C that I can't remember the name of. He tried eating some jello and it didn't take that long to come back up! Sorry if T.M.I. :)
Thursday night was a loooong night. He puked every 2 hours with one break of 3 hours. Between peeing (which we are THANKFUL for - no catheter) and puking and the nurse and tech coming in, well, we didn't sleep much! He tries to drink water but it just won't stay down.
Friday was more of the same. We've had great nurses by the way. Dad and Rama left this morning around 11. He was resting well then. The rest of the day it was about every 3-4 hours. Dr Treptow came in early afternoon and took the dressing off and packing out of the incision. I took video but I will spare you! He started him on Reglan which is also used for acid reflux. It is supposed to help the reflux from coming back up. Obviously he's not got anything in his stomach so it's all stomach bile and what little water he's taking in.
Doug also stopped taking the pain meds as he's not in that much pain now. He walked down the hall 3 times today which was a stretch considering he's exhausted after each episode then they give him Zofran which makes him sleep. Crazy cycle! Dr Treptow said he has to eat solid food and pass it before he can go home, so he's thinking Sunday at the earliest.
I have to back up a bit. When we got to the room there was only a recliner. Which doesn't make out in to a bed. And I've slept in one when he was in ICU and needed a chiropractor badly, yep not fun. I noticed the empty room next door had a loveseat (with a pull out bed) so when Eric was here Wednesday I asked the nurse if we could pull it over. Eric took charge of that for me. :) Thursday he asked how it slept and I told him "like a bed with a pole in the middle of it, but IT'S BETTER THAN SLEEPING IN A RECLINER! See, another blessing!
They think the cause of the vomiting is a reaction to the anesthesia. One of the nurses said this is not uncommon "at all." Dad D. said mom Ruby used to be the same way. Doug is soooo sensitive to medicines, just like she was. An experienced friend with a son that has had many surgery's said her son is the same way. They discovered the way to combat that is to put the anti nausea patch on him the night before the surgery and he comes out of it in record time. Well, hopefully there won't be a next time, but now we know. And you do too! Trust me, you don't want to go thru what Doug is.
So we are challenged but in the same breath we are blessed. Please pray for a supernatural healing for my husband. We appreciate your continued prayers so much.
Jan, Doug and Eric
P.S. He is in a deep healing sleep right now. Music to my ears.
No comments:
Post a Comment