Sunday, August 03, 2014
The Finish Line (hopefully)
July 31st marked the one year anniversary of the start of this journey. Doug has come a LONG way and we are hopefully nearing the completion of this phase. :)
Doug had another colonoscopy balloon procedure in July to stretch the anastomosis area. From the pictures there is a pocket at the disruption site but it appear to have new tissue growth over the area. Dr Stagg (Endoscopy) said he has had patients with a smaller anastomosis site and they have done just fine. Doug will have to make sure he drinks plenty of water and has fiber in his diet every day.
The Ileostomy procedure is scheduled for August 6th. To say he's not just a little anxious would be an untruth. The biggest "fear" if you will is infection. However, since we've "been there, done that" (twice) we know what to watch for. Dr Treptow (the surgeon) said to expect a 3 day hospital stay. He will be able to go back to work after a week or so of recovery but no lifting, etc for 4-6 weeks. Doug knows his body pretty well by now so as long as he doesn't try to get ahead of himself (again) I think he will do fine.
If you know my hubby he's not one to sit. That's probably the hardest part for him, r e l a x i n g! Lately he's worked like he used to (60 + hours / week) and for instance this weekend he went to an auction, had his tires rotated and balanced at Sam's, a dangerous place for him ie: spent too much $, changed the oil in his truck, put up a security light on the pole-yes that included climbing a ladder, put up 2 motion sensor lights on the house, washed the truck and the car, swept the garage and I'm sure there is more. Today we went to church and now he is with his awesome boss Dave checking out some aircraft equipment / tools from a private seller. Are you tired? Yeah, me too!
Last weekend was my class reunion in Iowa. Doug had already committed to playing in a golf tournament with my dad so I went by myself. Long drive and messed up going thru K.C. (just once though) and I am glad for books on CD. :) Had a great time and laughed a lot! Sunday I got to spend the day with my super awesome brother Brad and his equally super awesome wife Juil. Sooo peaceful and quiet on their farm. It was nice to slow down.
Last week I was on vacation and Eric and I stayed busy, cleaning carpets, laundry, haircut, recycling cleaning etc. Thursday Doug and I took Eric and a friend to "Warp Tour" in Bonner Springs, KS, just north and west of K.C. That was his birthday present. He and Cody had a great time while Doug and I went to a toy store, watched a demo of marbles being made (it was pretty cool!) We scoped out all the parks in the area and he metal detected in one of them (while I slept.) The ground was hard and dry and he only found a few modern coins. So we went Thrift store shopping! (One of my favorite things to do.) You rarely spend much and sometimes find treasures! But this time I only found a cool little (old) crock bowl for 99 cents. Hey, I told you you don't have to spend much. :)
So tomorrow it's back to work at 5:30 for a double shift tomorrow, work Tuesday and have to have Doug to the hospital at 5:15 on Wednesday.
Please be praying with us for everything to go perfectly before, during and after the procedure, no complications and complete healing.
Thank you so much!
Jan, Doug and Eric
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment