Friday, June 02, 2006
And then he surprises me...............
Tuesday night I heard Eric rummaging around in his room. It sounded like his regular "digging" in his Star Wars tub for just the right action figure with just the right gun or light saber. But I was pleasantly surprised. Eric was, get this, CLEANING HIS ROOM! And even better, I didn't ask him to do it! (Although it desparately needed done). How cool is that? I asked him just out of curiosity what prompted him to clean and he said "oh, it just needed it". Yep it did at that...... He did want to have a friend over Saturday and I told him he had to clean his room first. I guess he wants to have a friend over!!! Hmmmm, do you suppose all that "take responsibilty for you actions" that he's been learning in school has finally sunk in? And tomorrow is the last day. Thank you Ms Clark!!! We went to an indoor inflatable play place this morning with his class (my first field trip this year) then back to school to eat and have a Hawaiian Luau. It was wild and I'm tired. We tried to go outside to play the messy games but got called in due to lightning. So imagine 20 3rd graders in a small room with 7 adults and 1 extra kid. We made the best of it. Today was Eric's first Reading class at the college. I sat in on it and I even learned. He's going to be learning to increase his speed, reading comprehension, study skills, note taking, things he will need for his future learning. He was not looking forward to it at all and even cried some on the way. However, he was extremely tired from a big day at school. We got there and another mom of a girl entering 4th grade also and I got to talking. Her daughter is at a 2nd grade reading level and her confidence is sooooo low. Before the class started she shared with me and I with her about our kids and their non wanting to be there. After looking at the book she was going to read the poor little thing came back to her mom and cried and cried. I asked mom if I could tell her about Eric and she agreed. So I shared with her about Eric being upset earlier and he felt the same as her. She calmed some and I gave mom a tissue and we all took a bathroom break before class started. The precious little thing put on a brave look and came back in. After the class I asked her what she thought and she said "I think I'm going to like it"! Eric basically said the same thing. (Although we both have homework!) Anyway, I said all that to say this. I shared with Eric all of the above and how by sharing his feelings with another (who struggles a whole lot more than he does) shows how God is using him in a situation to help another. He got the "I got it" look on his face and I know he'll think about it alot. Another example of looking for God in the unusual places. Ok, that was quite wordy wasn't it? Today was Doug's first day on his new job. It's starting over again, organizing and such. He's quoting his mom (who we miss dearly) "take it one day at a time Doug". I think I'm going to help him this weekend with the office organizing part. Pray for him, he's more than a bit overwhelmed! Have a great day tomorrow. TGIF!!!!God Bless You!.............Jan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment