Friday, September 13, 2013

A small bump in the road

Today was the first visit with Dr Travis - the oncologist since treatment started.  We really like him as he takes time to listen to all your concerns and is good at explaining.  He noticed the spots on Doug's face immediately, they are on his neck, hands and back as well.  He said that is a reaction of the 5fu (chemo) med.  They show up in places on his body that have had a lot of sun exposure.  And I remember times when Doug's face has been really sunburned.  (I would hate to see how this manifested on me!) 

Anyway, the other symptoms, sores in his mouth, going to the bathroom ALOT, diarrhea, loss of appetite and extremely fatigued.  He said he is sure his digestive tract has sores down inside and that the area of the tumor being radiated is red (like Doug's shirt) because of the burning.   I reminded him of my comment on our first visit, Doug is sensitive to meds and supplements and reacts strongly.  He remembered (which impressed me!)

So the plan is:  at the very least he is going to reduce the strength of the chemo.  It will still run in his pump at .6 ml / hr, but won't be as strong.  He is going to get Monday off and see Dr Travis again on Tuesday.  Depending on how Doug is feeling, he may give him all next week off.   I asked him if it is ok to miss a day of radiation.  He said one day, yes, but not one week :)  I am working on Doug to just take Monday off of all treatment, he seriously needs a break, physically and maybe even more so mentally.  He did say to avoid milk products and caffeine which he does anyway.

Then he got de-accessed by the wonderful nurse Jeanette, the nurse that accessed him the first time.  We both really like her, Doug especially so.  Hopefully he'll get her again.  :)  Then he went down to radiation and I went up and worked on a puzzle.   I love puzzles, what a great thing, no brainer stuff but at the same time it can take your total concentration.

So that's the latest.   We are going to work really hard at getting him de-toxed this weekend.  I had a great conversation with Dr Bachert  (chiropractor / kinesiology and so much more) yesterday and he gave me some good suggestions.  So thankful he took the time with me, non-judgmental and just wants to help how he can.  I can't wait to tell him so in person!

We would so appreciate your prayers for Doug this weekend.  He really needs a day to just "feel better."   The mental battle is still very prevalent. ( Actually he just took 2 Ativan and headed to bed.)
And of course for complete healing, for the treatment to be killing all cancer cells and totally shrinking the tumor, and for all of his organs to be protected from harm and side effects.  Pray however the spirit leads ok? 

THANK YOU so much for your prayers.  We truly love each of you.

Jan

3 comments:

Donna D said...

Jan...my prayers are with you, Doug, and Eric...mom was very drug sensitive as well...I have this sensitivity too. take care and know you are all loved and prayers abound.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Jan, praying for you every time the Lord brings you to mind, and it has been often! I know your trust in Him will bring you His peace which passes understanding. Sending cyber hugs. If you see Sarah, tell her to give you an extra hug from me.

Journo June aka MamaBear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.