Tuesday, September 10, 2013

And the Cycle Continues.......

So the first 2 weeks are now in the books.  Friday the 30th was a ROUGH day.  He got de-accessed in the morning and then since he was at HOG he went down for radiation.  Usually after a morning appointment he goes back to work.  After finishing around 12:30 he went home WHIPPED!  Slept all day, and when I got home around 4 the poor guy was in a bad way.  Pressure and burning while eliminating and just felt overall "crappy."  We called the nurse (who was wonderful by the way) as he was very anxious and just didn't know what to expect.  We came to the consensus the issue were (of course) chemo and radiation related.   The nurse agreed with us that each department "blames" the other for side effects.  She suggested he take an Ativan, and it really did help with the anxiety.

The guitarist in Eric's band got married Saturday and Eric was in the wedding.  It was beautiful and fun and Catrina looked BEAUTIFUL and Tim a handsome groom.  Finally got to meet and get to know (better) the other band parents.  Now I know why these guys get along so well, their parents are awesome. I can't express strongly enough how blessed we feel that these young men are in Eric's life!

By Sunday afternoon / Monday Doug was finally getting to feel a little better.  He and his friend Jack went out Sunday afternoon to metal detect for a wedding ring lost by the husband of the office girl at Summit.  They had been throwing rocks the week before and she knew exactly where it had flown off his finger.  (Doug has an underwater detector.)  The awesome duo FOUND it!  And Doug had some much needed friend time and "therapy."

This battle is a HUGE mental one, especially for someone that despises medical procedures.  So by Monday night we were in the thick of dread....in a big way.  Fortunately I had requested Tuesday off months before.  I guess God knew I'd need it.  So I was able to be there when Doug got accessed for the second time.  Again he got light headed and sweaty so off I went for the Sprite and crackers :) 

Just have to throw in here, if it weren't so personal I'd like to video us during his bath time.   He hooks his fanny pack on the towel bar so it doesn't fall and pull the needle out of his chest, soaks (in magnesium crystals - they are wonderful) hollers when he's done, I wash his sides and back then hold the tube so he can use the hand held and rinse.  Then he hooks the tube over his ear dries off, gets out and bends over the tub and we wash his hair.  We have it down now!

Saturday we went to HOG in Fayetteville for de-access.  They were super nice and didn't even make him wait until the chemo had completely run out like Rogers did.  We were only there maybe 15 minutes.  He was only "free" Saturday and Sunday this week and just overall pooped, figuratively and literally :))

Monday I work in the office (as opposed to driving the truck for those that don't know.)  I am able to take an early break so I can be with Doug to be accessed again.  This time I just got the Sprite and crackers on the way in.......and that's how we'll do it from now on.  He made sure she had a 3/4" needle (as opposed to the 1" that the 2nd nurse started to use.)  We are learning the ropes on how things are done at HOG.  For instance you MUST check in at the lower level desk when you come in (even though the chemo area is upstairs.)  He didn't the 2nd time we were there and we were "scolded nicely" by the office manager.  Then you get labs done every time.  And since he is a port, he just needs to get tubes from the lab and take them upstairs.  Even though you only need tubes you still have to sit and wait.  I've always said medical facilities are on their own time.....ACH included.  So, you learn.......patience.  My hubby isn't good at just sitting......however, he is learning!

As of today he has had 9 radiation treatments.....21 to go.  Still concentrating on that number on the left!    It is not getting any easier, we are just getting a routine down.

I am giving Doug a cocktail of supplements.  So far his immune system is handling this ok.  His labs are "normal" considering the circumstances.  We are eating whole foods which means I spend a LOT of time in the kitchen.  I'm not much of a cook but I try.  Nothing out of a box and very little to no sugar for Doug.  (Sugar feeds cancer.....I've done ALOT of reading, see my eyes crossing?  :)  We are however,  as always, open to suggestions or if you have walked this journey I would really LOVE to talk to you, traditional or natural therapy, or both!

I prayed when this started that we could stay out of debt and keep up with the medical bills.  And Praise God so far we've been able to do that.   I "think" we've got the bills for Eric's episode in June taken care of, and so far we're keeping up with Doug's.  I've got to say THANK GOD for insurance.  Even if you don't have employer coverage, I implore you to at least get a catastrophic policy.  I can see why medical bankruptcy's happen, ohhhh my!!!!!

Please keep us in your prayers.   Here is how I pray:  for the chemo / radiation to ONLY affect the tumor and kill any cancer cells, that Doug's organs be protected from harm, for his mental battle, and it truly is a battle, as much as the physical even.  All the research says a positive attitude is extremely helpful as you are going thru this.   We could use some of that positive flow :)

Thank you for listening to me ramble.  And more importantly THANK YOU for your prayers.  Today I had such a peace, I just KNOW I was being prayed for, and Doug seemed to actually have a pep in his step when he got home! 

We love you all, be blessed!

Jan

No comments: