Sunday, October 15, 2006

Whew!

Oh my, we've been on the go since we got here! We left for the Nextel race, got in the wrong lane (you go where they tell you period, no questions asked!) So we ended up getting on the interstate, I said, let's just follow traffic. We did and got to the track quicker than before! We parked in our V.I.P. parking next to a guy from NE Oklahoma. Talk about a committed fan! Oh, before that the attendant said "park here, I'll think you'll fit" Well, we didn't and Doug ended up backing into a Camry. Still can't understand why she wanted us to park there when there was a spot more suited like 25 ft away. Anyway, fortunately there was no damage (Thank God). We walked to where we thought the shuttle was to go to the campground with my relatives and we were on the "wrong side of the fence". BIG BUMMER! It was one of those 6 one way, half a dozen the other decisions. We opted to walk....and walk....and walk! By the time we got there Eric was done. I mean stick a fork in him! We relaxed a bit and my cousin and I got on the shuttle bus to the "black market" souvenier tents, did our (my) shopping and got shuttled back to the campground for chili. So much fun with Lois, Don, Rod and Sharon. They truly are the hosts with the most! After supper we all loaded back up on the shuttle to head to "THE BIG ONE". That was just the beginning of masses and masses of people. I mean when the block off the road so you can cross 5 lanes of traffic on foot and it's so funny because people started "mooing" like herding cattle. If I would have remembered all the words to the song "Rawhide" I would have broke out in the chorus. One of those where you definately don't want to fall or you'll be trampled. Eric is past the hand holding stage (unfortunately) but he had NO problem hanging on to mom! We got to our seats and wondered who would be in front of us this time. Not bad, just minor drinking and smoking but with asthma it really bothered Eric. Plus he was SOOOO tired. Did you see the first few laps where Denny Hamlin wrecked? I happend to be filming with Eric's camera. Hope it comes out on a bigger screen. It was a great race and we have lots of wonderful memories. When it was over we herded back to the campground on the shuttle and waited for about an hour for traffic to die down. About 1am Rod drove us through a parking lot as far as he could and we walked and walked and walked again. Eric was not a happy camper until I started playing the squeeze mom's hand as hard as you can game. It worked, I was in pain but he was distracted and it was worth it! We got back to the motel around 1:45 am (2 miles) and crashed hard. Did I mention how comfortable the beds here are? Oh my, we need one of these at home!

Sunday morning we got up and went to Nascar Central which is an indoor track at the mall. Similar to Lokomotion, games, put putt golf, etc. We left there and ate at a cool place called Quaker State, shakes and burgers. There was a Nascar hanging from the ceiling. We are back at the hotel and I'm doing some laundry and preliminary packing (hoping we're not overweight) and Doug and Eric are swimming. We're thinking of taking in a movie and I've picked Olive Garden for my birthday supper.
Yep, I'm 40 something again. And I'm fighting something, hoping it's just over tired and not a bug. We're trying to make the absolute most of this wonderful time we've had. Again another beautiful day 60 ish and sunny blue skies.

We come home tomorrow and back to the real world. We're so blessed to have had this opportunity!

Jan

No comments: