So today is the first day of Spring Break. I slept until 7:30 and ohhhh it was nice. Eric and I picked up our messy house to welcome Wes and Hannah for a few hours. Sooo much fun playing with a girl. We had a tea party and played with play dough and watched a bit of Veggie tales and blew bubbles and wrote with sidewalk chalk and went for a walk looking for the rabbits and ate lunch. Can you tell we had fun?
After they left we went to clinic to get Eric's platelet counts. Our regular lab tech was sick so there was a different (young) girl there. Her computer was down so I explained why we were there, to get platelet counts and to ask Dr Lovell's nurse Kerrie if she had questions as we have been doing this for the last 8 weeks. She did and came back and started preparing for a blood draw (arm). Eric was looking at me like "mom, DO something!" So I tried several times to explain a finger poke was all that was necessary and only needed blood draw from the arm when his platelets were low, etc. She said, "no, I need it all." FINALLY, I said, I know you need a CBC, he's had Cancer and ITP and we are VERY familiar with having blood taken. Her whole demeanor changed..........I hate having to bring that up.........but what choice did I have? I certainly didn't want this young girl (how do I know how much experience she had?) with an attitude sticking my kid! So she did the finger poke. And started with, "so he had cancer?, That sucks" And yes, it did. However, we don't use that word.......except in my blog, (and yes, it does suck.) She used the word several more times throughout the procedure. I'm kicking myself now for not saying anything.
..........I have a feeling the blood clotted before she got it to the lab and we'll be going back this week for another try.............I'm going to make sure our sweet Megan is there before we go. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
Then we went to Toys r Us for the long awaited anniversary present. He got a Spider Man 3 action figure. And that helped some.
You know, I didn't pray before we went to the lab. Mistake. BIG Mistake. Won't happen again.
1 comment:
Hey Jan! Longtime no hear from our neck of the woods. Just wanted say how much I enjoy reading your blog. You make such a good mom. I'm happy for you that you have Eric. And don't think that worrying goes away as they grow older. Bethany is getting her wisdom teeth out soon and I'm dreading it more then she! I cried and cried when Heather had it done. Looked really silly me, crying in the dentist office! Made Heather cry too.
Ok, well, as you can see I made a name for myself. Even made a page too without help from Geo! Keep up the good work! Yes, you and Doug are blessed!
Love,
Aunt Ann
Post a Comment