Monday, March 19, 2007

I am the most blessed mom in the world........

After our normal bedtime routine tonight (shower, bible, devotion, story - we're reading "Frindle") I stood at the door of Eric's room and just looked at him and thought, I am so blessed that God chose ME to be his mom! One of the many memorable pre-adoption stories came to mind. So here we go.....this is a bit long so bear with me!
When Eric was about 4 months old and still in Guatemala we got new pictures in the mail. (we have 13, yes just 13 pictures of his first 8 1/2 months---they're in the safe!) Anyway, they were....well he looked like a down's syndrome baby. This threw us for a loop, especially Doug. It was one of those defining moments, questioning whether this was the child we were supposed to adopt. Doug's parents "happend" to be visiting, which was a good thing as we needed the distraction.
Fast forward to the next morning. I was (and still am) the first one up and out the door before everyone else. I got up and Dad D. was sitting on the couch fully dressed. Now he is an early riser anyway, but this was a bit unusual. He just said, "go get Doug, I've got a message to deliver." So, I did and he said he had a "visitor" in their bedroom last night. He started to cry and could hardly talk. He said an angel had woke him in the night and told dad to tell Doug and Jan that Eric is the child God has chosen for them and that we were to trust Him. He said he'd never had anything like this happen. (Then or since). What a powerful message.
This question has never ever come up again. I truly believe God has parents picked out for every child, be they adopted or born into their family.
Anyway, before I get off my soapbox, there are 2 more things that happend that night. One is that I was up in the night and started to go into their room, almost like sleepwalking but not really. Dad said later when I came in there was a visitor in their room, an angel. Mom D. (who never slept through the night due to pain from Rhumethoid arthritis) said she had the best nights sleep in years. So, in her words "God had me sleep, obviously I wasn't to be a part of it!"
We have the best son. Not perfect, no but he is such a blessing.........
March 24th is the 10th anniversary of the first day we held him in our arms. I think we need to celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

What a cool story. Our God is an awesome God!