Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Wednesday January 1st 2014

Happy New Year!

We've had another eventful day in ICU at the Mercy Spa. 

Let's see, where did I leave off?  Oh yeah, the night.  I spent the night in the "recliner."  I wonder why they don't fold down into a cot?  Maybe I should suggest that.

He continued on the IV antibiotics in the night and got 2 units of blood.  That definitely helped the blood pressure and heart rate.  When Dr Ayers (hospital doctor) came in she said his Hemoglobin had gone up to 9.8 (from 7.4)  still  a little low but better.  The cultures had grown a "gram B" strain of infection which helped her to know what antibiotics to give him.  Not everything is in however so still waiting on final test results.

About mid-morning he got the uncontrollable shakes again.  Followed by fever and I was waiting for the vomiting episode but thankfully THAT didn't happen.  It lasted a long time though and the fever was going up but the STUPID forehead thermometer said 100.3.  I KNEW it was higher, not my first rodeo and been riding this fever horse a lot lately.  So I asked for an oral thermometer.  And guess what?  It was 102.4.  See why I "don't care" for them?  Ugh!!!!  He calmed from that one but his heart rate went to 126 and blood pressure 86 / 53.  Our nurse left a lot to be desired.  (The same one as yesterday.)  Doug asked for Tylenol, she gave it to him and left.  And didn't come back.  They have a monitor in the hall with the same stats as is in the room but when your patient is shaking uncontrollably wouldn't you do more than throw a Tylenol and some warm blankets and leave and not come back?  Mama is thinking this ICU crap is for the birds about this time!  Yes, I was not happy.  Had to keep asking for ice only to be asked "is it for you?"  I said (calmly), no it is for my husband.  Then I asked a nurse in the hall if she could be so kind to get me a wash cloth so when he puked I could be ready.  She said "is he puking?"  I said no, but it is a very real possibility and I want to be ready.  She brought me several.  Guess she didn't want me bugging her anymore!

About 30 minutes after he calmed from the first one IT HAPPEND AGAIN!  Same thing, uncontrollable shakes, high heart rate, low blood pressure and fever, and that was with Tylenol.  I don't even remember now if the nurse came in.  He just rode it out the best that he could and I stood beside him with my hand on his forehead praying out loud and covering / uncovering him trying to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Then we got a new nurse.  She came in and told Doug she didn't like the looks of his continued high heart rate and that is usually a sign of pain and "are you in pain?"  He said "NO, I AM NOT IN PAIN, I NEED A SIERRA MIST AND SOME ICE!"  She scuttled off pretty quickly.  She didn't introduce herself (that I remember) so I wasn't aware that she was our nurse.  She came in and I asked if there was something else he could have for the fever as it had been 2.5 hours and still had temps from 101.9 - 102.2.  She said only after 4 hours could he have more.  In the meantime I had cold cloths (glad I didn't have to ask again:) on his forehead and between his legs (did this on Eric when he was a baby, his fever always got high.)  The phone rang while she was in there and it was Dr Ayers, she had called to advise her.  Hey, at least she asked :)  She got some ice paks and we put them under his arms and waited it out.  FINALLY the "episode" subsided.  Geesh, what an afternoon!  Our new nurse Charlotte said they had sent the first nurse home.  The Foley hadn't been emptied nor had the drain bulb been emptied and I had been taking care of the Ileostomy bag.  Charlotte said our first nurse usually worked in the Telemetry department (where the patient is hooked up to a machine) and they always have an assistant (who does the aforementioned emptying) and she found those duties unattended to a lot after following the nurse who doesn't usually perform those duties.  No kidding?  I wonder if they answer call lights?  Yes, I am being a bit cynical but I would have thought ICU meant you would be attended to in a timely manner say 5 minutes, especially when you are right across from the nurses station?

Off that soapbox to be more positive.  Our first nurse did (with my help) give Doug a bed bath, sit him up in a chair, changed the bed and we walked him to the door and back.  And that exhausted him :)

I put this on my facebook page:

So the BEST thing happened today. Dr Woodward was on call today for Dr Treptow. He came in to check on Doug and looked at the drain tube. He asked the nurse for some hand sanitizer foam and stretched and squeezed the tube towards the bulb. Said sometimes it clots. And that's when it happened. The bulb (size of a duck egg) FILLED up TWICE! Isn't that gross? But awesome at the same time? The... nurse said "where did you learn that? I've been nursing for 35 years and have never seen that!" He said he'd learned it in his residency. Since then Doug's heart rate and blood pressure have stabilized and his temp is 98.6. Your prayers and God using a man with the needed knowledge are helping BIG time! Thank you so much.
 
Isn't that cool?   Charlotte asked Doug "does your wife always get this excited about pus?"  He told her "you should have seen her when I peed after my first catheter was removed."  HA!!!   I've only recorded an average of 20cc / day.  In just 5 minutes it had filled and been emptied TWICE.  (About 100cc)  She emptied another 50 out of it later.   That's (gross) infection coming out of my husband.  I say SUCK THAT CRAP OUT OF THERE!  I've said "crap" twice.  Sorry if you're offended but that's about as much potty mouth as I get......sometimes. 
 
Mike and Ronda brought me comfort food this afternoon, just exactly what I'd been craving, crackers, sausage, cheese and this awesome pumpkin stuff, ohhh my it was excellent.  Mercy has a great cafeteria but they are only open for breakfast and lunch and the in hospital Subway closed early.  I got downstairs and felt like a queen at a banquet table!
 
 
My friend Rhonda came and got me and took me home so I could shower and pick up a few things, like my phone charger and the bills.  Thank God for online bill pay.  I love you Arvest :)  When I realized my Walmart Discover was due TODAY and we had a Redbox movie that needed returned, well Rhonda to my rescue again!  :)
 
I took the truck back to the hospital and stopped at Andy and Kate's to pick up some lasagna and the fixin's.  And Kate added home baked goodies and MY personal favorite, cheese curds.  I brought it back to the hospital, Eric and I both ate and had enough that he took it home to eat tomorrow.  If only I got the gift of cooking that my sil's have......NOT fair!  :)
 
Thank you thank you thank you to my family and friends for blessing us. 
 
 
Thank you thank you thank you for your continued prayers.  I am overwhelmed and have no words.  (And as you can tell, that doesn't happen very often)
 
May God be glorified in us and through us.
 
Have a Blessed and Happy New Year!
 
Jan, Doug and Eric

No comments: