Saturday, June 22, 2013

Friday June 21 2013 - Day 7

Friday 6/21/13
I thought I'd better start dating these because oftentimes it's after midnight when I post.  Things really run together in the hospital and I need to be sure of what happened when.

We got the news that the preliminary biopsy of the lymph node shows NO cancer.  We are doing the HAPPY dance!   They sent some of the sample to an outside lab for further testing that they don't do here but we should have the final report on Monday.  The bone marrow was also clear.

However, his Hemoglobin dropped again to 6.5.  So he got 2 more units of blood.  That makes 10 since Sunday.  Dr Creary said it should be baseline 12-13.   They re-check his SED rate and it is still greater than 73.  His baseline is 8.

The sedimentation rate (sed rate) blood test measures how quickly red blood cells (erythrocytes) settle in a test tube in one hour. The more red cells that fall to the bottom of the test tube in one hour, the higher the sed rate.
When inflammation is present in the body, certain proteins cause red blood cells to stick together and fall more quickly than normal to the bottom of the tube. These proteins are produced by the liver and the immune system under many abnormal conditions, such as an infection, an autoimmune disease, or cancer.Again, I copy and paste explanations in terms I can understand and explain to Eric.

So again Friday was a quiet day.  He didn't zonk out quite as much to the IV Benedryl as he usually does.   He's had a tightness in his chest as well as still trying to get the gunk out from surgery so we've been walking at night.  Plus the 4 walls have a tendency to close in.  (As nice as this room is:)

The plan is to do a cbc Saturday morning and see what his Hemoglobin is.  Dr Stine is the Oncologist on-call and he will determine if we get to go home.  There is an ACH clinic in Lowell (how handy is that?) and we could get a blood test there Monday morning to check it again.  If however he needed blood we would have to come back here for a transfusion.  Which, after everything that has transpired, I'm ok with.
 
This is the verse I am claiming over my son. 

Ezekiel 16:6
New King James Version (NKJV)
“And when I passed by you and saw you struggling in your own blood, I said to you in your blood, ‘Live!’ Yes, I said to you in your blood, ‘Live!’

Would you agree with me?

Jan

1 comment:

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Amen! Jesus, let it be so. Cover this family with Your love and fill them with Your peace.