Sunday, June 16, 2013

This morning Dr Stein (the Hem/Onc Dr oncall) came in with a resident.  After going thru everything (again) he said he was very concerned that the issue was related to the Hodgkins.  And the only way to tell that was to do a bone marrow biopsy and that there is something going on, infection? that is causing anemia, high bilirubin, and low hemoglobin.  I told him Eric had been on an antibiotic for an infection and he asked which one?  I told him Keflex and they both looked at each other with this "that's it!" look on their faces.  He cancelled the bone marrow biopsy (THANK GOD-hate those!) and ordered a specific blood test to test for this type of breakdown. Hallelujah we have some kind of answer!   The nurse said his hemoglobin went from 8.5 when we got here early Saturday morning to 5.7 Saturday afternoon.  They started the first bag of blood early Sunday morning, and his hemoglobin after it had only risen to 6.9.  It needs to be at least 12.  So he is being transfused with a second bag of blood right now (4 hours for this one.)  They pre-medicate with Benadryl and Tylenol and he was going down for the count even before they started. Then the first hour they come in and check vitals every 15 minutes, 2nd hour every 30 minutes, etc. He's slept almost all day poor kid!  He is still jaundiced but his eyes look a little better.

I've been doing some research (that can be scary) on anemia and it's side effects.  Dr Stine called this a "hemolytic condition" this morning.  Since they had yet to tell us the treatment, I went surfing, thus the scary stuff.  You have to really guard yourself when you do that you know?  From what I can tell, the treatment is blood transfusions and possibly steroids.  Which he's done before for Hodgkins.  One site I read said Hodgkins could be a contributing factor.  Another said Thrombocytopenia could be a contributing factor.   So at this point, I'm not fully finding fault with just the Keflex since he's been dealt the hand of Hodgkins and I.T.P.   It's no wonder the kid has a bit of an attitude toward sickness!

Anyway, my sweet boy is sleeping and you know, you love your kids but is there anything better than the love you feel when your innocent one is sleeping?  I'm trying to give him as much space as possible because as with any life disruption, there is only so much in your sphere of control - especially when you are a teenager !

We just got a new nurse, Mindy, she is from this floor and she is AWESOME!   I told her what's been going on and how Dr Stine reacted and she just laughed.  Dr Stine is always stoic and doesn't show much emotion so for him to react as he did is pretty unusual :)    Mindy said Dr Stine is "crazy smart" so I feel extremely blessed that he is on call this weekend to diagnosis Eric.  Another way of God going before us.   So Mindy said the next blood draw isn't going to be until tomorrow morning, probably so the body has a chance to start producing red blood cells on it's own.  She did say if the hemoglobin is at an 8 to not be surprised if they give another bag of blood.   I think God knew we needed someone from the floor.  Oh, you're wondering why I said that.  Our previous nurse John was from a different part of the hospital.   He seemed to be unsure of what he was supposed to be doing and said many times today "well, I'm from a different floor, I'm not sure how they do it here."  Soooo, how do you think that would make you feel?  Well I can tell you, like the red headed step child!   Needless to say, one of us was here all but about 15 minutes of the day.  Mostly me.  As it should be, mama bear "watchin out for her kid!"

Once again, I've written way more than you probably wanted to know but, that's just who I am.  :)

No comments: