We left home Wed Dec 10th around 9:30 and made it here by 7pm. Not bad huh? I made NO wrong turns and every stop we made had clean bathrooms. Which is HUGE when you are dealing with what Doug is! It started raining just before K.C. but was still 34 degrees and stopped just north of K.C.
This hotel has a Famous Daves BBQ attached so we took advantage of that convenience Wed night. It is an older hotel but remodeled and clean.
Today started out a little rough. Doug NEEDS a sprayer on the bathtub and the rubber portable one didn't work so I googled and then trekked off to Walmart to buy a sprayer, teflon tape and pliers. When I got back he "modified" and now has a sprayer. Happy camper we both are!
His appointment at Mayo wasn't until 12:30 but the way the shuttles ran we had to take the 11:20 shuttle. Which turned out to be fine as we needed to fill out more paperwork. We got in about 12:15 and she did vitals, etc and she let us stay in the exam room as it had a small loveseat so he could lay down. The Dr came in about 1:20 so he had a nice nap.
Dr Vega is probably the smartest G.I. dr in the world. (Can you tell I was impressed?) He has been doing this for 33 years and went thru Doug's records in about 15 minutes. Then he reviewed what he had surmised and short of a few details hit the nail on the head. Those details weren't necessarily in the records though.
He questions the diagnosis of "hole in the anastomosis" from the Dr's in NWA. He has ordered bloodwork, a rectal M.R.I., pain patches and appointment with the Colorectal specialists here at Mayo. They schedule everything for you and the soonest they can get Doug in for an M.R.I. is next Friday. However, the patient specialist said after his bloodwork (tomorrow am at 07:40) to go to that department and ask to be "worked in." Doug asked what she meant and I told him, basically you are flying standby. He understood that! After the M.R.I. she said she can move the colorectal appointment up.
So we went down to Mayo pharmacy to get the pain patch prescription filled. And wouldn't you know it, my insurance needed pre-approval. I had saved some of my WageWorks money "just in case." The out of pocket cost was $50 so we just paid it.
I then called my insurance because from experience I KNOW an M.R.I. needs pre-approval. There hadn't been a request put in for one yet so when we got back to the hotel I called the G.I. department at Mayo. It was too late for her to check that status (It was 4:45) so they are supposed to call me tomorrow. Don't want to upset the apple cart there!
So as it stands right now, we are kind of in limbo. I will find out more tomorrow!
And now, since it's been a long time sine breakfast (sans the Dilly bar we had while waiting for the shuttle) we are going to find something for supper with 'no' fat in it! Dr's orders for blood draw tomorrow.
Keep praying. We need approval for MRI and for it to happen tomorrow as well as an opening with a colorectal specialist tomorrow also!
Thank you so much for your prayers. They are working!!!
Jan, Doug and Eric
No comments:
Post a Comment