A lot has happened since Nov 20th! On Monday 11/24 Doug needed a refill for his Flagyl and Dr Treptow thought it might be a good idea to get another stool sample since he was feeling so poorly. I took that in on 11/24 and it again tested positive for C-diff. I don't think it ever went completely away but it has a high rate for recurrence so no surprise there really. Dr Treptow also referred us back to Dr Bandy. The internal doctor we aren't super happy with. Smart guy but doesn't listen very well......or at all. Anyway that appointment was scheduled for Monday 12/1 at 11am......the same day hyperbaric treatment was to start at 12:30. And we've sat in his waiting room/treatment room for 2.5 hours before. Oh boy. Doug hadn't been to work (or anywhere for that matter) all week so my dad came to the rescue and took him to Dr Bandy's office so I didn't have to take off early to go home and get him. I was able to meet him at the office. Doug told the receptionist he had another appointment at 12:30 and she said "he has 2 in treatment rooms and 3 waiting (4 with Doug.) We finally got in at 11:50. Doug told 2 nurses about the other appt. I think they lit a small fire under him because he came in at 12:00. Dr Bandy did as I suspected and put him on the next stronger med for C-diff, Vancomyacin and also said to get the over the counter probiotic Align and to get labs at the hospital.
We made it to Doug's first Hyperbaric treatment in time and they got him in the chamber and going by 1pm. Doug said he didn't really feel differently when I picked him up at 3. They said it may take 11-15 treatments before results might be felt. Mondays I work a split shift so I got him home and headed back to work. Honestly, it just felt "hopeful" to be DoinG something for him.
Before all that happened though, Mayo called and wanted to schedule an appointment. And we were thinking "NOW what do we do?" Dr Friesen told us at the initial appointment that Hyperbaric was a cumulative treatment and he knew we were considering Mayo that we would want to schedule it so H.B. didn't have to be interrupted. I texted my prayer warriors and we took the evening to seek God's wisdom on this one. Finally the next day Doug said "I can't wait any longer, I have to have something done, I can't do this anymore!" So we called Mayo back and got scheduled for Thursday Dec 11 at 12:30. I thought this would mess up the H.B. but she called and asked if Doug could start Monday Dec 1 at 12:30. He told her about the Mayo appointment and she said "well we can get 7 or 8 treatments in before you go!" So that was the confirmation of the right decision made!
Doug has 5 treatments down and will have 2 this week. We leave Wednesday for Rochester. I have to be honest, I feel like I'm letting my FedEx family down having missed peak season last year and not knowing what will happen after Wednesday. And hoping I don't miss another one. BUT KNOWING my place is with my husband at this time. So after talking at length to one of my managers I finally had the peace I needed. He said "if anyone has a problem with you being gone for another peak to take care of your husband, then they don't need to work at FedEx." WOW, ok then. :)
Doug's AWESOME boss Dave offered to fly us to MN a long time ago. Doug was going to take him up on it. However, he has failed so much in the last 2.5 weeks that he doesn't think he can go 3 hours without stopping. So, we were going to drive the truck and make him a bed in the back seat. (He can't sit for any length of time. He got his hair cut yesterday and that was the longest he's sat in about 2 weeks.) After checking the weather, now he says we will drive the car. I think I can make him a more comfortable "bed" in the back seat of the car than the truck. We don't know how long we will be there.
I know I sound like a broken record but we really really really covet your prayers. Again we leave 12/10 and I have reservations until 12/13 with extension a very real possibility. We have no idea what we are dealing with (other than the C-diff.) He weighs 141 pounds and losing, has NO appetite or energy and is up every 1-1.5 hours a l l n I g h t long, and if I took a picture of him you would be appalled at how thin he is. And we thank God for Oxycodone. :)
So that's the latest on the Dorothy front. We know God is on the throne, He is our provider and we TRUST Him.
We are so very blessed, grateful and thankful for every single day!
Jan, Doug and Eric
1 comment:
Hope your car trip goes as smoothly as possible and praying WISDOM for ALL DOCTORS. I just came across your blog a few weeks ago and I think you taking the time and energy to document this journey is amazing. Your FAITH shines through in every entry and I thank you for allowing us to know how things are going. Remember there are many who care about you and your family and let us know of any practical needs we can help with.
Post a Comment