Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Sunday PM - Monday

Sunday evening was fairly uneventful.  We again had Andrea, it's so nice when we get the same nurse for a few days in a row.  So far we've been very fortunate with great nurses. 

This morning I got to the hospital and Doug was sawing logs!  So I went down and got some breakfast at the cafeteria.  When I came back up he was looking at the room service menu.  I ordered him scrambled eggs and he wanted hash browns both with cheese, oj, cranberry juice and canned peaches.  Sounds like a lot for a guy that hasn't eaten much in 3 days doesn't it?  I should have told them small portions.   He actually did pretty well considering.   After he at the PCT's came in and got stuff for a shower.  After his shower he felt better but was just exhausted.  My brother and sil Kate had just gotten there (from Wisconsin!) so we visited for a bit and I took them on the 10 cent tour while Doug slept.  We went to the subway level and checkout a few stores and then had a nice lunch in the Mayo cafeteria.  We got back to the room and Doug was just "out of sorts."  Not necessarily pain, just so very tired.   I ordered him lunch and Andy took him for a very short walk.  He ended up getting the pain in left shoulder/chest area.  He's gotten it before and one of the nurses gave him a warm blanket to put under his arm and around the front.  I believe she said it's from the surgery they blow air/gas in his body and it has to go "somewhere."  He has to keep moving in order for it to move on out.  His lunch of soup and mac and cheese and peaches got there and he took 2 bites of the mac and 1 of the soup and he was done.  Smells have caused pukeage before so that's one thing I try to be ready just in case!

We visited a little more and Kate and Andy left.  It was sooooo nice to see them, even if Doug wasn't feeling the best.  This afternoon we both took a nap.  Two more of Dr Devine's "Fellows" came in late in the day.  They were dressed in suits, nice ones at that!  They said he needed to pass stool and gas and be able to eat well and keep it down before he would be released.  However, the plumbing is working well P.T.L.!!!!

Around 5 I came back to the hotel and got the extra ostomy supplies from Ronda. At our last appointment I had mentioned to the ostomy nurse that Ronda had all these supplies that weren't going to work for her. She said they had missions and patients w/no insurance and a student working 2 jobs with an ostemy that they could donate and send them to.  Thanks Ronda!

I got back to the hospital about 6 and ordered Doug a baked potato, grilled cod and peaches.  I ran down to the cafeteria and ate a salad.  By the time I got back Doug had done pretty well on his supper.   We walked again, watched the Hogs STOMP Texas and walked again.  Our nurse tonight is Ronny and I like him.  Of the 2 male nurses we've had (1 in AR) I would have to say they are both extremely competent.  

And that is our day!  Doug was a bit discouraged today, so very very tired.  Prayers for a great night's sleep and a better day tomorrow are appreciated!

Thank you all for your continued prayers.  We love and appreciate all of you@

Jan, Doug and Eric

No comments: