After my Tuesday morning post we had a wonderful surprise in the way of our Pastors Steve and Red Dixon. It was sooooo good to see and be loved on by them. We were blessed to have them pray. Shortly after that Dr Treptow came in and said we could go HOME (insert happy dance:) Since the drain in his cheek is still producing and the fact that it's the end of the year and scheduling is an issue, he got Doug on the schedule to repair the disruption in the resection on Tuesday, Dec 31. He will have another C.T. scan on Monday to check the infection in the pelvic area as well as some "pockets" that were farther up. In addition we got 5 prescriptions that needed to be filled.....on Christmas Eve.
Fortunately there is a Wal-Mart pharmacy in the Mercy clinic next door. So I ran them down there hoping to get them filled before we left. Only to be greeted with the gate and sign "out to lunch" and he'd just left. So back up I went to finish packing. And we got another visitor, Pastor Terry Baker came to visit and pray with us too! It had been a long time since we'd gotten to visit with him, we really appreciated the visits and prayers.
So back to packing. And that included our awesome nurse Alandra showing me how to change his drain dressing. It is one of his major pains (yep, a true pain in the butt!) Doug wanted us all to go home together and in the car since it is more comfortable so I got Eric called and on his way. Then I ran back down to the pharmacy to drop off the prescriptions. There was just one pharmacist on duty as he'd let everyone else go home early. He wasn't real happy to see me show up with a fist full of scripts. It was about 3:00 and he said. "I'm closing at 5." I am on the Walmart "text me when my prescription is ready to be picked up" system (love it) and made sure he had my number.
By that time we were ready to head out. Eric drove up with the car and chauffeured us home. Unfortunately it was another painful ride home but made just a little better by being able to lay down in the back seat. We got the car unpacked and Doug comfortable and Eric and I headed back to get the truck at Mercy as well as the prescriptions. It was 4:10 when I got there and I walked in an told the pharmacist, "I didn't get a text but I thought if they weren't ready I'd just wait." He said they were ready and "didn't know why?" Big fail Walmart. One of the items we needed was acidollophis which is and over the counter item. He didn't have any but suggested Walmart or Walgreens. We drove by Wally world on our way home and......I am just not that crazy so we opted for Walgreens.
Eric went on home and I picked up our Christmas Eve meal, Backyard Burgers. Hey, it worked. :)
Christmas Day I made the boys a big breakfast, Eric opened his gifts and I made a big lunch with ham and all the fixins'. Our tradition is to go to a move on Christmas night so we modified and went to RedBox for 2 movies. I had spent the day in my jammies and just threw on my coat thinking, "who's going to care?" We got Doug a Sprite at the Kum n Go and I saw 4 people also in their jammies. Lots of folks were comfy like me :)
Doug continued to be in pain so I gave him the Percocet every 4 hours as prescribed. It just wasn't cutting it so it's been a long few days.
We've enjoyed some nice weather that last few days and it got into the 50's today (Saturday.)
Oh, I was talking about the pain meds wasn't I? It's such a long drawn out (non) comedy of errors that took 6 hours Friday afternoon with no resolution with the exception of Dr Travis (the oncologist) nurse telling me he could double up the Percocet. He did that and it worked much better. And she said if I didn't hear from Dr Treptow (who was the dr on call this weekend) to call H.O.G. Saturday morning and the nurse would be able to get us something called in. Since we received no call, they filled the script this morning at H.O.G. ...... in Fayetteville. It couldn't be called in anywhere else since it was a narcotic and need to be a written paper prescription. So off to FYV I went! I am thankful for Dr Travis' nurse and Highlands Oncology. They are the true blessing and are to be commended for their efficient response and follow-up. We appreciate them so much and I will make sure they know that at the next appointment.
Doug is still very very weak. I'm giving him supplements as well as the prescription meds. He doesn't see that he's improved much but I reminded him today he has no catheter and is not having that problem anymore! Thank God. I also reminded him that Sepsis is so very serious and he was on his way to being much much much worse than he is. Honestly, I'm thinking the narcotic has some bearing on his attitude / depression.
So in that light, I leave you with specifics to pray. For his mental and spiritual state, for his strength and appetite to return, for the C.T. scan to got well, and for them to be able to find a vein the first time. His right arm was black and blue, BAD. And for the procedure to repair the resection to go perfectly, dr's, nurses, techs, EVERYONE to be at the top of their game. We know that God can heal him and is first and foremost always our prayer.
Thank you all so much for the texts, calls, cards, pies and goodies. Most of all thank you for your prayers.
We love you!
Jan
No comments:
Post a Comment