Sunday, December 08, 2013

Sat PM / Sunday Dec 8th

Saturday night was fairly uneventful.  I enjoyed my 2 hours at home with Eric, showered (ahhhh) and took him to Marvins Foods in Lowell for teeanager food (frozen pizza, waffles, soda, bakery bread, mac and cheese.)  When I got back I was walking down the hall thinking "nothing would make my heart happier than to see my man walking down the hall."  I turned the corner and got a happy heart!  Our sweet CNA Patty who is a patient champion cheerleader was walking him.  :)

Saturday night we had a nurse that just.....wasn't my favorite.  PSA, Nurses, when shift changes, always always always introduce yourself to family members and if your hospital has it, always write the shift change nurses on the board.  I'm sure that's policy but when a nurse comes in and wants to start sticking my hubs in the stomach with a needle, putting Morphine in his IV, etc.  with no introduction......sticks a crock in my jaw.  Ok, I'm off my soapbox now!

Anyway, there is a family across the hall that had ALOT of visitors wayyyy after hours were over last night.  I knew something was up.  Turns out grandpa has had cancer but is in the last stages of his life.   Please pray for them.  I heard the Dr say they aren't giving up, will do more radiation but if his heart stops, they won't try to resuscitate him.  (I wasn't evesdropping, the large family was in the family waiting area with the Dr at the end of the hall, just outside our door, even with the door closed we could hear him.)

Another man that Doug met during radiation with the same diagnosis as Doug had his surgery on Friday.  It was a 6 hour surgery, his tumor was still very large, the surgeon nicked the ureter and they had to call the Urologist back in to sew it up ended up with a permanent colostomy and spent the night in ICU.  The cancer had penetrated his colon wall and he will now have to undergo 3-4 more months of chemotherapy.  He is now 2 doors down from us.  They have no insurance and have applied for disability.     Please pray for this family also.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday we got our awesome nurse Becky again. (Had her Saturday too.)   Just love that lady, she's recently got her 90 days in at Mercy.  She's about our age and just the best nurse ever.  She knows her stuff and she cares, about everything.  They just recently moved here from Wisconsin.  She said "why don't they plow the roads here, this is crazy!  Said they moved to AR to get AWAY from this stuff :)  It was an enjoyable day with Becky.  She got the chore of pulling Doug's catheter out.  (Pray for pee!)
Doug has walked 5 times so far today and we're going to do at least one more.  It's the best way to get that gas moved out.  He's still entirely exhausted when we get back but he's going farther each time.
And with that he just said "are we going?"  So yep, I've gotta take my man for a walk!

Ok, so we are back.  I "made" him go all the way to the end of the hall and back.  He said I pushed him too far.  HA!  I think I have the backing of the dr and nurses, no worries here!  That makes 6 times today.  Becky pulled the catheter at 1:20 and said it should take about 8 hours (which makes it 9:20) so we are PRAYING FOR PEE!  Obviously he REALLY does NOT want it reinserted :)

For those of you not in our area, Thursday (the 5th) they cancelled school for forcasted ice and snow.  It was a good decision as by 11 am it had started and I really think they would have had to call it before the 1o'clock "full day" deadline.  (I think it's one?)  So we started with about 2-3 inches of sleet / ice.  Which froze.  Then Friday we got 7-9 inches of snow in some places.  Y'all we live in the south, can you say "shut it down?"  Yesterday when I went home there were just SUV's and 4WD on the road.  Today, oh brother cabin fever must have hit.  Nothing more dangerous  than a southerner driving on ice!  When I was coming back tonight it had started to mist and for the 90% of the roads they'd not left a layer of snow on they were slicker thank snot!   I can see the interstate from 2 directions in our 6th floor room and just today there were 4 lanes finally open in both directions.  Needless to say, there is no school tomorrow (Monday) either.  Did I mention it was 29 degrees at 6:30?  :)

Honestly this has been a blessing to us.  Eric is home (with neighbors and family close) but we burn wood so he's been able to keep the fire going, house warm and take care of Charlie and Cat.  I've got him a list of "honey do's" and he has a paper to write so he is busy.  It's just another part of God's plan for this season as we were concerned about the house (and dog) getting too cold while Doug was in the hospital.  At first I didn't plan on being here every night but it quickly became apparent that this is where I need to be.  Thanks Lord for the snow days  :)

They haven't said anything about going home yet.   He's got a few more things he needs to master before that will happen.  Quite honestly, I'm not sure I could handle him yet anyway!

Thank you for your continued prayers.  We appreciate them more than you know!

Jan

No comments: