Sunday, December 15, 2013

Home Day 4

Full time nurse checking in here!  Just kidding.....sort of.  :)
The first few days have been interesting.  Thursday night he had a bad vomiting episode.  He ended up in the shower and I had the washer going!

  He's still really weak but gets up.....I say that loosely, I usually am the "anchor" that helps pull him off the bed.  If I am not there he rolls, sloowwly.  Anyway, he gets up often as bladder control is still an issue. He's had a lot of experience with the ostomy and has his routine down now.  I reminded him of how his mom did "laps" in their house when she was recovering from a major surgery so that's what he does.

Early (as in 4am) Friday he started in with a fever and it got to 100.6 at one point.  We have an antibiotic from his oncologist that we had filled "just in case."  It reads "In the even of a fever of 100.4 take one for 7 days."  So that is exactly what we are doing.  It never got higher than that however.

Pain has been controlled with Motrin and Motrin PM for the most part.  I gave him generic ibuprophen last night.  I know, same thing right?  But it worked better for Doug.  We actually had a 4 hour stretch with no interruptions, it was AWESOME!  We've been getting up every 2 or so hours.

He's back on the Isagenix shakes.  He does eat although it is very little.  We are beyond thankful for nutrition that he likes and can manage.   Lisa, I can't tell you thank you enough.  I believe it is the catalyst in his healing.  That and God :)

I asked him last night if he feels like he's better since he left the hospital.  He said yes.

  I've been reading again (I know, but I want to be informed!)  One of the articles I read said that recovery needs to be measured by the week, not by the day.  I think that helped him as he wants to be better soooo badly.  One comment he made, "chemotherapy and radiation were nothing compared to this."   Dr Stagg (did his initial colonoscopy) says get your routine colonoscopy, polyps can develop into tumors.  And if that isn't enough, you are welcome to give me a call.  There is a WHOLE lot more I'm not putting in this blog because I love my husband.

We go back to the doctor tomorrow to get his staples out.   I am supposed to go back to work on Tuesday.   But unless he has a huge improvement I'm not sure that can happen yet.  We ran errands (yes, still have to eat:) yesterday and we both agreed 2 hours is the maximum he can be left alone.

So that's where we are right now.  We covet your prayers.  Thank you so much!

Love you all,

Jan

No comments: