Thursday, January 11, 2007

It's the good one!

Praise God we've had a busy day! Thanks for your prayers. It only took 2 pokes to get the IV started. Any more than that and he begins to get agitated. Then it was down to Radiology and a chest X-ray, for a total of 15 minutes. (way cool, we've waited as much as 1 1/2 hrs just for chest x-ray) then back up to the Hem/Oc clinic where we waited to see the oncologist and today a hemotologist as well. She confirmed "classic" symptoms of ITP but needed to do a bone marrow to be certain no relapse. The chest x-ray was clear and his platelet count had dropped another 1000 down to 17,000. By the way it was 1:30 and yes, we were getting hungry and thirsty! So we got into a treatment room and started the process for a bone marrow. If you've never seen it done just an fyi, if you're like Doug, step out. It's painful to see a needle the size of a nail going into your child's back. THANK GOD for the "you're not going to remember this" medicine! He moved some but our wonderful hem/oc nurse Ruth got er done. He cried and cried when he woke up. And asked the same thing over and over every minute.....literally. I tried not to laugh because I knew that would make him mad. He just wanted to wake up so he could play "Super Mario" again. Then we got to EAT, compliments of the hospital. Ok yes, it was hospital food but it was still basically free! So here's the bottom line. The results of the bone marrow aspirate show no cancer. The bone marrow biopsy results won't be back until Monday. She is 90 percent sure there is no relapse but we will do a CT scan tomorrow to make sure there is nothing in the belly. She said it's not a good idea to do bone marrow and CT in the same day. She feels like it is ITP. What does that mean? Well, we come in tomorrow am and he starts drinking contrast, then ct scan, then we go back to clinic where they will give him IVig immunoglobins to bring the platelets back up........which take 6 hours to run. Or there is another course of treatment called willow something but she will decide which route to take tomorrow.
And I will get this confirmed tomorrow but it is something we will just have to watch. It can go away, (as in remission) or it can recur. We are staying in Little Rock tonight at the Guest House Inn (also compliments of ACH) they have a "full house" and no beds. Eric is still accessed for the procedure tomorrow. And we are just peachy. I feel like a load has been lifted.........well, it was, we felt your prayers all day and THANK YOU so much. We probably won't be home until late tomorrow night so I'll update again then and answer some of your fun emails.
God is Good, ALL the time!

Jan, Doug and Eric

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Eric!I have been talking to Auntie Rhonda trying to get updates. Issac and Elise and I have been praing and we got the children's prayer group at our church to pray and we will continue to do so. No weapon formed against you shall prosper!

Sarah said...

Our prayers are with Eric and the whole family! We love you guys!!

Sarah and family

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Praise the Lord, Jan! I've been thinking about you and praying all day! And we know all about the meds that make you forget - versed, right? It's Kendall's drug of choice! LOL After his lung surgery in '02, he kept asking to see the same video, even though I'd just played it for him. The good thing is, if you DO laugh at them, they don't remember that either. ;-)

Sending lots of hugs and prayers for all of you.

Unknown said...

What a relief! I'll be able to sleep tonight!

The kids asked about Eric today. I told them that Donna Undernehr gave him the cooties (she was in Tuesday hacking and wheezing).

I am sure Eric wants to be back at school and back to normal, we want that, too. But be sure you rest plenty before coming back - Juan Pablo has strep, who knows who else will get it, so keep that in mind.

I will call this weekend. Until then, I'll keep checking the blog - thanks for setting it up for us!

Love, MK

Journo June aka MamaBear said...

Jan,

Sarah wanted me to tell you that the video Kendall kept asking for that day was the Veggie Tales "Barbara Manatee." We had the Silly Songs tape with us (and several others) and it was Barbara Manatee that he had to see again and again and again!

Do they usually have trouble starting Eric's IV? Kendall doesn't give second chances. If they miss once, he tells them to get out! ;-)

Isn't God good to His children? Have a safe trip home.